All times are UTC - 8 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Getting them into cage
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:42 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Gave happy chirps: 15 times
Got happy chirps: 74 times
Both of my tiels are getting more difficult about going into the cage. Silver used to be SO good. Not any more. Now it's especially hard because of dealing with two birds. I get one in, and he sneaks out as I am getting the other in.

Emma flies away, from place to place. Then, she sits on top of the cage and gives me "the look." The "look" says "I'm not scared of you; you can't make me; I'm going to make it hard for you."

Meanwhile, Silver has started "attacking" my ear. Also, he will "attack" my finger if I am trying to interrupt something I don't want him doing. He never used to be that way. He doesn't really bite. He bangs his open beak on whatever he's not liking at the moment. Gosh, I had such a long, beautiful honeymoon with him.

Post subject: Re: Getting them into cage
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:36 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
He might be getting hormonal. Food bribery is often a useful way to get a bird back in the cage. Some birds cooperate better if you give them a treat after you put them in the cage, and others cooperate better if you let them munch on the treat while you're putting them in.

It's also helpful that going into the cage doesn't necessarily mean that they're going to be locked up - they often resist more if they're sure that the door is going to be closed behind them. You can practice putting them in the cage and giving them a treat for going in, but then leave the door open so they can come right back out if they want to. Then when you really want them to stay in the cage, you can put them in and close the door.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:05 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Gave happy chirps: 15 times
Got happy chirps: 74 times
Very good ideas! Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:54 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 19 times
Got happy chirps: 49 times
At night I have all older birds in the big cage and new babies in the smaller cage. Usually I have no problems to pick up most of the birds and take them to cages, with a few exceptions. I just wanted to say that today Trillie got into the big cage first and all by himself (he usually gets in by himself but after some chase from my side) - I think he realized he can choose a cool spot if he gets there first. The only one who is giving me a hard time is Cuddles. I don't know why she can't realize that while she is resisting all the good seats are getting occupied :)

Babies are fighting in their cage over sleeping spots - so funny to watch.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]