Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Eating poop
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:09 am 
Quaker
Quaker

Name: Stephanie
Gave happy chirps: 105 times
Got happy chirps: 265 times
Both Beaker and Jaid are doing it and it is concerning me. What are they lacking in their diet?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Eating poop
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:55 am 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
Quoted from Sussane Russo
Quote:
Stress of weaning, changes in environment or diet, and molting are just a few causes for a cockatiel to eat it’s droppings. Stress results in a depletion through excretion (poop) of most the water soluble (B's, C, choline) nutrients in the system. The body does not mfg. or retain them. Eating of the droppings is a cockatiels way of replentishing (recycling) them back into their system.

The eating of droppings is not a normal daily thing with cockatiels. Cockatiels are one of the few species of parrot type birds that will eat their droppings when their body is lacking in certain nutrients.

The primary nutrient being choline and many of the B vitamins and amino acids , which are by products in the birds droppings. Stress, such as the sale and a new home can cause a bird to excrete in excessive amounts the water soluble family of vitamins and nutrients in his system. This group of nutrients consists of the B vitamins, choline, and vitamin C. Even thought the birds diet may contain these nutrients under stressful situations the body is excreting in excess of the dietary intake. The cockatiel will eat the dropping to compensate for the difference.

One thing that will help your bird is to go to the healthfood store and get some Brewers Yeast. It is rich the B vitamins, minerals and nutrients, choline, and amino acids. Amino acids enable vitamin and minerals to act properly within the body, and aid in the assimulation and utilization of the other nutrients. Sprinkle a small amount on his seed/food daily for about a week. This will supply what he needs back in his system, and alleviate the need to eat his droppings.

The Brewers Yeast is a good suppliment to sprinkle on his food a few times a month.

There is more information here http://www.justcockatiels.net/eating-droppings.html

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:07 am 
Quaker
Quaker

Name: Stephanie
Gave happy chirps: 105 times
Got happy chirps: 265 times
Oh, I did change their cage around. And the room I put them in while I was doing it scared them a little. Could that be it?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:26 am 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
Yes, That is definitely why they are eating their own poop. Once they get used to their environment, they should stop.
If you have some brewers yeast, sprinkling a little to their diet won't hurt. :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:25 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Barbara
Gave happy chirps: 494 times
Got happy chirps: 115 times
I had a poo eating problem a few months ago, one started doing it and everyone followed; they also started scraping the wall and licking the bricks, they were obsessed :(
I am happy to report that they all stopped shortly after I started giving them brewers yeast. It really worked wonderfully!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]